New Book Alomft Done, Thank Yuggoth!

I am at 21,844 words in my extension of "Uncommon Places," the title piece for my new book from Hippocampus Press, whut I hope to see published next year.  Not certain if I'll get these new version of the sequence up to 25,000 words, as I hope to.  The 15,000 word version will see its initial publication in The Tangled Muse, to be publish'd late this month or early next.  Because I am calling the Hippocampus book Uncommon Places, I want the title piece to be of significant length.  Most of the new wordage is in fact a short story inspir'd by J. Vernon Shea's "The Haunter of the Graveyard," which he wrote for Derleth's initial edition of Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos.  My sequel, such as it is, to Vernon's story is based not only on his text but by entries in H. P. Lovecraft's Commonplace Book, and I'm having great fun writing this very Lovecraftian thing set in Arkham. 

I have also added two old tales to the book's contents, "The Host of Haunted Air" and "The Zanies of Sorrow," since they touch on aspects of Oscar Wilde.  The contents for Uncommon Places as I now have it stands thus:
"An Identity in Dream" (new, 484 words)
"Artifice" (new, 226 words)
"Cesare" (new, 236 words)
"The Host of Haunted Air" (reprint, 4.041 words)
"Hempen Rope" (new, 474 words)
"Cathedral of Death" (revised reprint, 534 words)
"House of Legend" (new, 622 words)
"Inhabitants of Wraithwood" (reprint, 13,000 words)
"In Memoriam: Oscar Wilde" (reprint, 2,073 words)
"The Zanies of Sorrow" (reprint, 4,994 words)
"In Remembrance: Edgar A. Poe" (reprint, 3,340 words)
"Keepsake" (new, 309 words)
"Necronomicon" (reprint, 462 words)
"Postcard from Prague" (new, 165 words)
"Sickness of Heart" (new, 455 words)
"The Tangled Muse" (reprint, 6,094 words)
"Uncommon Places" (reprint with an addition of 10,000 new words, 25,000 words)
"Letters from an Old Gent" (new, 2,398 words)
"Chamber of Dreams" (new, 457 words)
"Some Distant Baying Sound" (reprint, 6,060 words)
"Your Ghost on Glass" (new, 224 words)
"Some Buried Memory" (reprint, 2,849 words)

My plan to write a sequel to "Inhabitants of Wraithwood" did not work -- yet.  All in all, if I can actually complete the new 10,000 word extension to "Uncommon Places," the book will come to almost 75,000 words, a perfect length.  I will, quite frankly, be glad when the book is finished, as I am feeling a bit of burn-out, which is moftly ye result of heightened duties here at home, where I am my mother's live-in caregiver.  I be worn down, my ducks.  Too, I have been intensely productive.  Since getting online a wee bit over two years ago (I think), by using Microsoft Word and composing almost completely on my laptop, I have completed these books:
Dreams of Lovecraftian Horror (revised/expanded edition), for Mythos Books;
Weird Inhabitants of Sesqua Valley, published by Terradan Works in 2009;
The Tangled Muse, Centipede Press, hopefully out end of this month but maybe not until October);
The Strange Dark One--Tales of Nyarlathotep, Mythos Books;
Uncommon Places, Hippocampus Press.

Honey, just looking at that list makes me wanna take a nap!
I swear I am gonna limit myself to two books next year, a first novel with ye lovely and awesome Maryanne K. Snyder, probably set in Gershom, my city of poetic & doomed exiles; and a book of totally Cthulhu Mythos fiction for Miskatonic River Press.  I'm a busy wee thing, aye.

Comments

  1. I've been keeping an eye out for The Tangled Muse -- I want to see what it looks like! -- but it doesn't appear to be on the Centipede website yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, Jerad hasn't updated the website yet, although he announced the book in an email sent out to various people. I think he is about to publish ten new books and a new catalogue, and hopefully then he will update the site. He now thinks he may not have the book ready for The H. P. Lovecraft Film Festival, and that has me a wee bit dismay'd as I wanted it to premier there, at the very last of the Festivals.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts